Saturday, May 7, 2011

Not Hibernating, Just Busy

OK, we didn't just die and leave this blog to stagnate forever. October 11 of last year saw my wife and myself embark on a continuous and seemingly never ending mission. We have an older friend who was on vacation in Europe with her adult daughter. The dream vacation of a lifetime for the daughter, if you will. Mediterranean cruise and then trip to Switzerland to stay for a while. That didn't work out very well. Immediately after leaving the cruise base in Greece, the woman was no longer able to hide her Alzheimer's and completely fell apart.

We were summoned to pick them up at the airport as the daughter was able to get seats on a flight as soon as the ship returned to Greece. We have been taking care of the woman ever since. I stay with her during the day and my wife stays with her at night. It has not been fun, but there you are. It's life. We promised to stay with her so she wouldn't have to be moved into a home and we're going to do just that for as long as we can. We're not professionals in the health care field and we know there will come a time when we can't care for her appropriately. Then we're gone.

A lot has happened since the intended use of this blog, which was to talk about the elections in November. The Republicans took back the house and then decided to act like they lost. They got some seats in the Senate but still have to worry, whenever there's a vote, about the Maine Girls who could vote against them at any time. Not pleasant.

The baseball season started. This is an especially important event for me. Baseball is the only sport I still follow since the NFL and NBA have degenerated to insignificance. It's a far more nuanced story, of course, but major league baseball is still "it" for me.

I used to follow the Dodgers but then the O'Malleys sold the team to Fox. I was pleasantly surprised  as they did a pretty decent job of running the team with both Dan Evans and Paul DePodesta performing far more adequately than I would have imagined. Then we got the McCourt Era. What a mess. Not only am I singularly unimpressed with Ned Colletti, McCourt has reduced attending a Dodgers game to approximately the level of going to a L.A. Raiders game. I know, I made the mistake of taking my very young son to a game there shortly after McCourt took over and swore I'd never go back. Am I surprised those guys got beat up earlier this season? No, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.

Anyway, I only follow the Angels locally now. I have National League teams I have enjoyed and I guess I'll be rooting for the Cardinals if/when we get moved to Missouri. In any event, I will be writing more here soon and I even hope to get some input from Sperry in the future.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment